Holiday in Mauritius

edited June 2012 in Mauritius
Hello people

I'm coming over to Mauritius with my newly wed wife :) for our honeymoon.
First of all its not normal of me to write in forums, but i was impressed by the professional way in which Dietmar runs this forum. I was looking at some threads and i saw that Dietmar replied to every single question !! Amazing !! That's what i call SUPER SERVICE :) So everybody who is in this forum is lucky to have a dedicated guy like Dietmar.

As i said i'm coming over to mauritius in 5 weeks time. Will arrive begining of August.

I have a few (or many :) ) questions to ask but i don't want to annoy or disturb anyone so take your time to reply to my questions. No hurry at all. I appreciate your help.

I was impressed with the feedback that most mauritians are very friendly. Hope thats true :)

I have the following questions:

We're planning to do like 9 activities which are

Water Ski
Underwater walk
Parasailing
Swim with Dolphins
Quad Biking
Catamaran Cruises
Underwater Scooter
Visit Mauritius Aquarium
ZIP Lines

I was viewing the website Mauritius Attractions - Attractions in Mauritius, Attractions, Tours & Excursions center – Book Online and the above activities are all listed, but i was wondering if i could book them while at Mauritius not before (not online).

Certain activities i can book them and do them the same day? like parasailing, water skiing etc?

I read that swimming with dolphins is very recommended so its better to book before. but in August i dont think its necessary since its not the peak time. Correct?

I think it is possible that some activities will be done in the hotel resort instead of driving long way to other beaches. is that possible? (i understand that i can't do all activities around the hotel area)

I'm asking, as, since we don't have a lot of days we are trying to schedule everything :)

I don't like carrying cash so i will pay a lot with VISA. Can i withdraw money from ATM's? or VISA is just to pay only and not withdrawing?

Can I exchange money from Mauritius? (i read that yes but i like to double check)

I also read that the weather in August is like 20-25 degrees. so basically i can pack summer clothes and little winter cardigans for the evening as probably will be colder? is that right?

Is the sea (for activities) calm in August? is it crystal clear since its not summer time? or crystal clear is in different months?

do you think it will rain a lot in August?

with regards to Taxi's, are they reliable? are they safe? are they friendly? It is important to know the facts as most probably we will be using Taxi's unless I hire a car.

I also read that in Muaritius there's a lot of traffic/cars. Even in August (since its not peak time) ?

Are the Taxi fares expensive for long ways/distances? for example from poste de flacq to mahebourg or from mahebourg to point aux piments?

That's all for now. I'm terribly sorry for all the questions and maybe stupid questions but i'd like to know a lot of things as i want to have a perfect honeymoon :)

Thanks in advance for your help and as i wrote above, take your time to answer questions (if you can) no hurry. I know I asked too much :)

Kind Regards

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Dear Holmaur,

thank you for posting in our Mauritius forum. As this is your first post, a warm Mauritian welcome :)

Have you already booked your accommodation for your honeymoon ? If not we can assist, we also have nice villas with special offers for honeymooners where you have your own private pool and garden, really cozy and intimate.

Wow! Thanks a lot for the flowers (An expression in german) Its also a passion to write and communicate about Mauritius, i really enjoy doing that. Its nice that you have spotted it.
    I was impressed with the feedback that most mauritians are very friendly. Hope thats true
    Yep, it is. :cool:
    Swim with Dolphins
    Can give you a good contact for this one, he only takes maximum of persons and has done it since many years and is certified that he respects certain rules regarding the dolphins. You can also just book him as a couple. You gotta wake up early though, at around 3am. Depends where you will be staying.
    Water Ski
    You can do that in hotels, if you are staying in a beachcomber hotel or club med thats usually included. Or you can book it in Grand Baie at the sunset boulevard next to the Cafe de la plage restaurant for example.
    Quad Biking
    I did that in Casela Yemen Park! That was fun: Casela - index
    Visit Mauritius Aquarium
    You can just go there. You will see across the road a stand that is red and white. There you can buy very nice "Farattas" - its an indian food, i recommend you this. Its less than a Euro and on top you have sea view while you eat it!
    Catamaran Cruises
    More space than enough in August.
    ZIP Lines
    Haven't tried...
    Underwater Scooter, Underwater walk
    Will for sure not be overbooked...
    Certain activities i can book them and do them the same day? like parasailing, water skiing etc?
    Yes
    I read that swimming with dolphins is very recommended so its better to book before. but in August i dont think its necessary since its not the peak time. Correct?
    Correct. There is always space to go see them.
    I think it is possible that some activities will be done in the hotel resort instead of driving long way to other beaches. is that possible? (i understand that i can't do all activities around the hotel area)
    Depends on what you want to do. Yes, its possible to do a lot at the hotel itself, here again it depends on which hotel...
    I'm asking, as, since we don't have a lot of days we are trying to schedule everything
    How long will you stay ?
    I don't like carrying cash so i will pay a lot with VISA. Can i withdraw money from ATM's? or VISA is just to pay only and not withdrawing?
    You can withdraw with VISA, just check with your bank that your visa card has no sercurity block, but else to pay and withdraw should be no problem.

Can I exchange money from Mauritius? (i read that yes but i like to double check)
    Its better you change here. Which currency are you bringing ? Euros ? Dont change in your country, you will pay to much commission. Change in Mauritius, you get best rates.

I also read that the weather in August is like 20-25 degrees. so basically i can pack summer clothes and little winter cardigans for the evening as probably will be colder? is that right?
    Exactly.

Is the sea (for activities) calm in August? is it crystal clear since its not summer time? or crystal clear is in different months?
    Usually calm, with small waves, depends on the lagoon and beach that you choose, there are so many locations... its crystal clear - the water itself when you dive in it, well depends on the weather to :) when there is no wind, it doesn't depend on the season only but more on the wind, and also tides, low tides, high tides. But its sometimes more windy in winter so a bit less calm.
    do you think it will rain a lot in August?
    I am not an oracle but i will try: It will rain average, not to much (i suppose).
    with regards to Taxi's, are they reliable? are they safe? are they friendly? It is important to know the facts as most probably we will be using Taxi's unless I hire a car.
    Yes and No, depends on the driver that you get. You can book some drivers for a whole day who can show you a lot of nice places and for a good price. Before you take the driver, i would suggest you talk to the driver first about his prices and settle for a price first and not just jump in and see later what it will cost. Else there will be taxis at your hotel if you are staying in a hotel which in general are OK to.
    I also read that in Muaritius there's a lot of traffic/cars. Even in August (since its not peak time) ?
    Mauritians always work and have to drive from city to cities so in the morning and at around 16:00-18:00 you have the rush hours in the highway corridor from Port-Louis till Phoenix. Depends on the roads you are taking. If you are on the coast no need to worry about traffic.
    Mauritius is not mainly a touristic country, tourism is only the third pillar of the economy. So in the middle of the island, where most poeple live, its like in cities like in any other country traffic wise.

Are the Taxi fares expensive for long ways/distances? for example from poste de flacq to mahebourg or from mahebourg to point aux piments?
    Around EUR 40-50 for that long trip.

That's all for now. I'm terribly sorry for all the questions and maybe stupid questions but i'd like to know a lot of things as i want to have a perfect honeymoon
    You are most welcome to ask, also it helps others :)

Thanks in advance for your help and as i wrote above, take your time to answer questions (if you can) no hurry. I know I asked too much

Read you soon then. Bye bye,
    Dietmar
  • edited June 2012
    Dietmar;1954 said:
    Dear Holmaur,

thank you for posting in our Mauritius forum. As this is your first post, a warm Mauritian welcome :)

Have you already booked your accommodation for your honeymoon ? If not we can assist, we also have nice villas with special offers for honeymooners where you have your own private pool and garden, really cozy and intimate.

"Yes we have booked everything. The holiday has been booked for months now :) and we re really looking forward. we re staying at constance belle mare plage at poste de flacq."

Can give you a good contact for this one, he only takes maximum of persons and has done it since many years and is certified that he respects certain rules regarding the dolphins. You can also just book him as a couple. You gotta wake up early though, at around 3am. Depends where you will be staying.

"Very well. Looking forward to it."

You can do that in hotels, if you are staying in a beachcomber hotel or club med thats usually included. Or you can book it in Grand Baie at the sunset boulevard next to the Cafe de la plage restaurant for example.

"I think the hotel where I'm staying offers activities"

I did that in Casela Yemen Park! That was fun: Casela - index

"Thanks for the link, I viewed website and it was really good. great information and the tariffs did not seem too expensive".

You can just go there. You will see across the road a stand that is red and white. There you can buy very nice "Farattas" - its an indian food, i recommend you this. Its less than a Euro and on top you have sea view while you eat it!

"Yeah, will do for sure, I'll take a picture and posted in the forum when I come back :) (if I remember hehe)"

Depends on what you want to do. Yes, its possible to do a lot at the hotel itself, here again it depends on which hotel...

"As I wrote down further up, we re staying at the Constance belle mare plage"

How long will you stay ?

"10 days. So I will have very busy days to do all those excursions :)"

You can withdraw with VISA, just check with your bank that your visa card has no sercurity block, but else to pay and withdraw should be no problem.

"Thanks for your info. I will do a short meeting with our local bank".

Its better you change here. Which currency are you bringing ? Euros ? Dont change in your country, you will pay to much commission. Change in Mauritius, you get best rates.

"Yes I will get Euros. I am from Malta and we use Euros. Very well so I change a few money in Mauritius as I will use a lot VISA".

Exactly.

Usually calm, with small waves, depends on the lagoon and beach that you choose, there are so many locations... its crystal clear - the water itself when you dive in it, well depends on the weather to :) when there is no wind, it doesn't depend on the season only but more on the wind, and also tides, low tides, high tides. But its sometimes more windy in winter so a bit less calm.

"Very good looking forward for the activities".

Around EUR 40-50 for that long trip.

"Reasonable Price".

You are most welcome to ask, also it helps others :)

Thanks in advance for your help and as i wrote above, take your time to answer questions (if you can) no hurry. I know I asked too much

Read you soon then. Bye bye,
    Dietmar
    "Many thanks again for your help. You were really friendly and the information you ve given me is much appreciated.

I Thank you once again. We ll talk soon :)"