cyclone

In the news,they have announced a cyclone in Mauritius..
this would explain the dramatically change in the weather pattern.. sometimes it's freaking hot, then it's windy.. then cloudy.. although you're using the air con during night, it's still warm..
I am really excited to see my first cyclone.. do you have any tips for me?
How should I behave? Take care of something?.. anything else?..
Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Hi hi hello,

The last cyclone we had passing by was 'IMELDA'; April 2013. There are few interesting facts I have learned, tracking this storm.

First of all concerning the classes 1-4 given to cyclones. I always thought, the class was a unit for the intensity; I was wrong. The classes determine the following: (1.)

Class I means that a cyclone, minimum of wind bursts reaching 120 km/h, is estimated to be 36 to 48 hours away from the moment of impact in Mauritius.

Class II; same thing, but then 12 hours of daylight before impact.

Class III; same thing; 6 hours of daylight before impact.

Class IV; Moment of impact!

So instead of intensity, it tells you how long you can go on with your life, till you really have to start preparing and hiding. Remember; 1=36-48 hours; 2=12 daylight hours; 3=6 daylight hours; 4=showtime! On Mauritius Meteo website you can find information concerning what to do when class (*) is issued.

Furthermore, I found a kick ass cyclone tracking tool from the CIMSS Tropical Cyclones Group, which I found to be more precise then the tools provided by Mauritius meteo websites. This tool will tell you where the cyclone is likely to head. You can select/deselect specific layers; such as the winds direction and speed, ocean current, storm intensity, water vapor, and more.

I have, unfortunately, never experienced a cyclone 'hitting' Mauritius myself. My wife however, who has, told me you have to stock water and food because you're likely to stay indoors the whole time. A cyclone might keep you home for more then a week!

During the cyclone there will be no electricity; so make sure you buy a flashlight, batteries and candles. Also, get some books, board and card games to get you through the day.

Furthermore, get a radio which works on batteries; so that you can follow the news concerning the cyclone. This is very important because you might not be sure if the cyclone has passed. In the 'eye' of the cyclone, a roughly circular area of around 30 to 65 km(2.), the weather is calm, so you might think the storm has passed.

Beware! This type of storm is dangerous. Stay indoors or otherwise you might find yourself dismembered by a flying object such as a metal sheet; and other sharp bulky objects humanity has left unanchored.

Don't be a stupid little girl about it; take this storm seriously!

Best regards,

The messenger

Mauritius weather channels
    - Mauritius Meteorological Services
    - Meteo Mauritius

CIMSS Tropical Cyclones Group
    - CIMSS Tropical Cyclones

References:
    (1.) Mauritius Meteorological Services
    (2.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_(cyclone)