Mauritian Snacks

edited June 2014 in Food
What are your favourite Mauritian snacks? :D
How many of them do you know?

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Chana puri....it is like a white dough stuffed with potato carry.
    Samoussa, Gateau le chou, Gateau Piment, Gateau Bringelle, Du pain frire.
  • edited April 2013
    These are all snacks originally from India?
    I think i have tasted the chana puri before yes and i loved it!
    The Samoussa is also filled with potato curry, right? or sometimes also with different things?
    What is the Gateau chou? and the others?
  • edited April 2013
    Samoosa: Samoosa are little triangle shape pasties usually filled with spicy potatoes carry. You can also filled them with fish, chicken or cheese.
    Gateau Piment: Also known as chilli balls. Gateau Piments are fried round shape spicy peas-lenses balls.
    Bringele Frire: Slices of fried eggplants rolled up in a mixture of flour, garlic, onion and ginger. They are also available as Piment Cari Frire which is chilli peppers rolled up in the same mixture.
    Gateau Le Chou: Its a mauritian snack made of cabbage and mixed in a mixture of flour, garlic, onion and ginger.
  • edited April 2013
    This sounds all delicious! i think i have tried all except of the Bringele Frire and the Gateau Le Chou. So it is time to try the rest also!
    So far the chana puri are my favourite snacks in Maurtius, let's see if this will change :) What is your favourite Snack Natasha?
  • edited April 2013
    Chana Puri :D and Gateau Le Chou :)
  • edited April 2013
    Sounds good! Now i think i have tried all of them except of the Gateau Le Chou :)
    Last night I went to the beach and on the way there, there was a little stand on the street, that was selling all those snacks. And it is not expensive at all... We only paid like 40 Rp for around 14 pieces... Can you tell me how the Gateau Le Chou looks like Natasha? :)
  • edited April 2013
    It's like a yellow round cabbage and flour ball :)
    These snacks are cheap and we have just to pay for it and take it away.
    It can be eaten everywhere.... :D
    We have others snacks also.
  • edited April 2013
    Roti: The Roti descends from the Indian cuisine and consists mainly of a flat cake like a crêpe filled with vegetarian lenses curry and chilli.

Bulette: Bulette descends from the Chinese cuisine. They are steamed balls made out of meat, chicken, tofu or vegetables which are served in a clear stock improved with fresh chives.

Mine Frite: Also known as fried noodles and they also descend from the Chinese cuisine. The noodles get fried in a wok with sesame oil, garlic, soja sauce, fish sauce, salt, pepper and sugar and finally the get improved with different vegetables, shrimp and eggs.

SWEETS

Massepain: The Massepain is a typical Mauritian cake. It is very sweet and quite similar to the known plain cake.

Tarte Banane: Tarta Banane is tartlet consisted of a mixture of white flour, water, sugar, and butter and filled with ripe bananas.

Gateau Gingli : They are small fried balls covered with sesame seeds.

Ladou: Small cookies consisting of besan gram flour, a pinch of powdered food colouring (yellow), grated coconut, almonds, butter, nutmeg and sugar. The mixture gets cooked and afterwards shaped into small balls.

Undé: Small rice cookies refined with sugar, vanilla, cardamon and covered with grated coconut.

Gateau Patates: The mixture of this Gateaus or also called sweet potato pasties consists of sweet potatoes, flour, coconut, vanilla and sugar, grated pineapple also can be added. Subsequently they get fried before they can be eaten.
  • edited April 2013
    I love the Mauritian cuisine, especially because it is so multicultural and offers a broad choice of different delights from Indian, Creole, Chinese or French! What ever you like :)

And I really like the Roti and the Bulette too! Sometimes me and my friends go to a snack stall and take away the Bulette and Mines frites and just eat it at the beach... Also you don't have to wait long at all.
    The Roti i like to eat for lunch with a soup for example, like the Halim.
    Natasha can you explain me a little what the Halim is made of?
  • edited April 2013
    I love the Mauritian cuisine, especially because it is so multicultural and offers a broad choice of different delights from Indian, Creole, Chinese or French! What ever you like :)

And I really like the Roti and the Bulette too! Sometimes me and my friends go to a snack stall and take away the Bulette and Mines frites and just eat it at the beach... Also you don't have to wait long at all.
    The Roti i like to eat for lunch with a soup for example, like the Halim.
    Natasha can you explain me a little what the Halim is made of?
  • edited April 2013
    Halim:

Water
    Pulses
    Coriander
    spring onions
    meat/soya
    garam masala (i think)
    ginger
    garlic
    crushed wheat
    salt
    pepper

We should put a teaspoon of vinegar or less and crushed green chilies.
  • edited April 2013
    Briyani...yummy :)
  • edited April 2013
    It sounds very healthy the Halim :) and also it tastes gooood, you can really taste the different spices in there. But once should be careful with the crushed green chilis ;) when you get it in your throat it is not so nice... But I like it, so I think I will get it again for lunch ;) Don't we all love the Halim?

Briyany yes.... i have also tried it this :) very yummy! It is like a rice dish with chicken and i think it tastes a little sweet? What other ingredients are in there?
  • edited April 2013
    It sounds very healthy the Halim :) and also it tastes gooood, you can really taste the different spices in there. But once should be careful with the crushed green chilis ;) when you get it in your throat it is not so nice... But I like it, so I think I will get it again for lunch ;) Don't we all love the Halim?

Briyany yes.... i have also tried this :) very yummy! It is like a rice dish with chicken and i think it tastes a little sweet? What other ingredients are in there?
  • edited April 2013
    Chicken/fish/soya/octopus/meat
    Rice
    Ghee
    Briyani spices
    salt
    coriander
    mint
    fried onions
    ginger
    garlic
    chili
    tomato
    potato
    salt
    pepper
    cinnamon
    water

Some people add rose water and walnut when they eat it :)
  • edited April 2013
    yummy... it also sounds like a lot of work though :)
    It has to cook for a very long time, right?
    But i have only had the one with the chicken before... I will have to try the others too :) because i love fish!
    Do you know a very famous mauritian fish dish?? or with shrimp :)
  • edited April 2013
    Since the day I discovered ROTI it was my favorite UNTIL I ate Farata!
    NOW I don't like ROTI at all - I prefer Farata a thousands times over Roti.
    I can bear a Roti if its just made and still hot.
    This is the place where I like to get my Faratas:
    Mauritius - Pointe aux Piments | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
  • edited April 2013
    In Mauritius, we often eat fish in a fresh tomato sauce (know as rougaille).
    Fish Vindaille - the fish is cooked in mustard seeds,saffron, lots of onions and chilies soaked in vinegar.
    Or a fish and eggplant curry with white rice :)

Shrimps can be added in fried noodles, fried rice, bol renversé, in chicken curry or rougaille.
  • edited April 2013
    Yes I have to admit i also prefer Farata over Roti now, but I still like Rotis :) but unfortunately you don't get Farata as often as Roti. At most places they only offer Rotis or? That place from the link was very good though!

And Natasha, yes I have tried the fish rougaille and I liked it a lot. I will also have to try the fish and eggplant curry, sounds good! :D

I really like going to those small snack stalls and try all kinds of mauritian food. The boulette chou chou is also one of my favourite. It is just too bad that most of them are only open during the day...
  • edited April 2013
    Am not a big fan of roti and farata's but i like to eat them.
    You can get fresh chouchou boulettes in the market of Port Louis. You can prepare the stock by yourself. Its very easy :)
    Frozen boulettes are available in supermarkets.
  • edited April 2013
    If you want to eat really good Boulettes (Dim Sum) and Mine Frire you need to go that place in Trou aux Biches vis a vis the parking or next to ex Aquarium. There is a chinese shop there. People stand in queue there to get those dishes. Its worth every cent! In the Mine you can also request special sauces and addition of some other meats which gives the meal a whole different flavor. The Boulettes are Hot and he will show you which ones you can choose from. One of the best places i have eaten those meals. The Mine is WAY BETTER than in Restaurant! YOU know that place Ann-Christin ? :confused:
  • edited April 2013
    That place definitely sounds great and no i have not been there yet. Trou aux Biches seems like the place to eat :D will have to check it out sometime!
  • edited May 2013
    OK, here comes my list;
    roti
    farata
    dholl-puri
    bullete
    halim
    gi-pen tika
    gato pi man
    muslim briani
    muslim kebab
    chinese kebab
    fried noodles
    boiled noodles
    sweet & sour pork

First of all, the list above is written the way I say it, so please forgive my spelling.

I am born in the Netherlands which gives home to a, I must say, boring cuisine. I just love the Mauritian food; mixture of allot of world's best cuisines!

I still remember my first encounter with bullete. "Pi man?" (chili) they said. I boldly said yeah yeah of course, bring it on! Man, I've never cried over chili before; hot man! And there's no escaping since the chili is in the soup! Finished it, yeah of course I finished the damn bullete. I couldn't bare to leave it after I wanted chili so bad.

I think fried noodles is my favorite; with allot of beef added. hmmm yum!
  • edited May 2013
    Yes i totally agree with you! Mauritian food is great and i love the different spices they use and of course always piment with it ;)
    But haven't tried a chinese kebab yet, i think... whats the difference? sounds interesting :)
  • edited May 2013
    My wife introduced me to it. I only know one place where to get it; there are always people queuing up. You can find the place in Port Louis, opposite of the central market entrance... oh what the heck; I'll just give you the coordinates;): -20.161105,57.503455 , paste this in google and you'll find it.

by Isla-Mauricia

If you look at the center of this picture, the kebab place is a 170 degree to your right. Or at your around 5:30 o clock.

You can have beef, deer, chicken... even duck I believe.

Great place! should check it out!
  • edited May 2013
    hmmm sounds very good! so you get something different instead of always chicken :) but the other toppings are the same or is it also with different vegetables?
    I have had a good kebab in Port Louis as well, close to the bus stop and there were people queuing too, if you can call it like that ;)
    It was very good tho, also with cheese and I really like cheese :) but probably on the chinese kebab they dont put cheese on it? since chinese people dont eat cheese...

But next time I'm in Port Louis i will have to check it out for sure!
  • edited May 2013
    Oh yes, that kebab place on the corner next to the North bus station (Immigration square). I think this is the most popular kebab place in Port-Louis. The kebab is around 25 cm long and costs MUR 50.00. If you want it with cheese you pay an extra MUR 5.00 making a total of MUR 55.00. Wow my math skills are -A-mazing!

Here the coordinates of the best kebab, besides the Chinese one, in Port-Louis.
    -20.159506,57.503783 paste this in google and you'll find it.

by virtualtourist

If you look at the center of this picture, the kebab place is a 90 degree to your left. Or at your 3 o clock.
  • edited May 2013
    I am hungry now...lets go to Port Louis for a kebab :D
  • edited May 2013
    yes let's do it guys ;) haha kebab is always good and i love it with pineapple also!! it is delicious!
    And at the kebab place close to the bus stop, i payed MUR 50 for one with cheese and without it was 40. This is a great price i think! :D